Wednesday 24 October 2007

Amsterdam

After Bruges I headed up to Amsterdam. Yes I know going down to Belgium, back up to Amsterdam and then planning on going down to Paris was the wrong way of doing things, but it worked out perfectly with Sybil's birthday!

So yeah Amsterdam. For starters my hostel was awesome. It had a bar on the ground floor, so there was rarely a need to leave the place. Breakfast was downstairs, so was the kitchen and the bar. As a result, most of the rooms were extremly quiet as everyone was hanging out together.

Secondly, soo many americans. Just wanting to hang out and get stoned. Which is fine I guess, each to their own, but I found it odd a whole day in a foreign country and city could consist of going to a coffee shop. They DO have dope in the states right? I mean, I know, wow it's legal here, but still. I didn't see heaps of Americans standing at street corners hanging out drinking beer just because they could. Although, I have to say, I could actually imagine them doing that if there were enough! Anyway, Americans are funny species. There seems to be a lot of them in Amsterdam.

In Amsterdam I did all the touristy things, went on a tour, saw the red light district, saw coffee shops, went to the Van Gogh museum, the Anne Frank House and partied quite a bit. The second night I was there I couldn't sleep cos my room was right above the bar and it was kinda loud, so I asked to be changed for the last night. The girl at the front desk was nice enough to give me 2 free drink tickets for any inconvenience caused. Nice.

Photos from the tour:

Monument to the 'unknown prostitute'


The Amsterdam 3 X's 


A coffeeshop



Leaning houses of Amsterdam




So, my last night I partied with some cool Aussies, courtesy mostly of the happy hour, free drink tickets and the cute bartender. It was fun.

No comments: