Thursday 18 October 2007

Bruges!

After Copenhagen, I got up way too early in the morning to catch the train and ferry down to Germany and then I was hoping to go across to Belgium. Unfortunately the ferry was nowhere near as beautiful the second time. My train was delayed at Hamburg indefinitely due to German train strikes (strike 2, damn supposedly efficient German trains!) So I ended up going through Cologne which has a pretty Cathedral right outside the train station.

I finally arrived in Bruges about 3 hours later than I was supposed to. So poor Sybil had to drive to the train station about a million times everytime my 4 trains were delayed. Fun. But yay, after 18 hours on the train (and stations) I finally made it to Bruges!

It was Sybil's birthday so she took friday off and we cycled around town. Bruges is a very pretty little town, which has cool little canals and over bridges and a huge town square where you can sit and people watch for hours. Which we did one of the days I was there!



Some pics:

People on a boat tour:


Canals:


They have YUMMY waffles. And lemon Sorbet. And Sybil and Clara thought I was a pig for wanting both. But I figure if you can fit them in one hand it's ok...



The Birthday girl:



So yeah, I arrived late Thursday night, we had a tour and a party on Friday night, a tour again with Clara a party guest on Saturday, and a family party on Sunday. Lots of birthday party fun. And yummy Belgium food. Waffles and Spinach. and Nutella. I still haven't worked out what it is with Europeans and nutella. Odd.

No comments: