Wednesday 10 October 2007

Berlin

After Oktoberfest, I went up through Germany stopping overnight at Graham's in Darnstadt, and then Christina's in Hagen, then made my way to Berlin!

Berlin has a giant train station (the largest in Europe I think), where ironically, on the day of the France England rugby game, they were displaying giant banners of Dan Carter in his undies:

(brilliant, you come halfway around the world and it's still DC in the the jockies)

In Berlin I stayed with the lovely Gesa, and mostly lay around reading books a lot! But apart from that, I went on a cool bike tour, and saw Berlin...


Our Tour Guide and the memorial to Jews killed in the Holocaust



Me standing in old East and West Berlin at the same time (the cobblestone represents where the Berlin wall used to be)


And I also went to a museum and saw the gates of Babel from the ancient city. On my last day there, Gesa and I had currywurst, which is basic bratwurst with curry powder on and then a whole heap of tomato sauce, which totally mask the curry flavour. (quite disappointing I thought - I was expecting more curry!)


Then we walked up a huge hill and looked at the city at night. Very cool.

Overall I liked Berlin, soo much history with the war, and the Berlin wall and even before that, huge palaces from the Empires.. very cool, and a nice place, but the lack of English and the FREEZING cold made it less fun. Cool big city though.

No comments: