Monday 15 October 2007

Copenhagen

My Trip into Copenhagen started with the coolest train ride ever. We went across to Hamburg and then up out of Germany into Denmark. The ride from Germany into Denmark is soo pretty, you go through little pieces of land with sea on both sides, and then you go on a ferry! The train goes onto the ferry, you all get out and then at the other side you get back on the train and it continues.

On the ferry, I caught the coolest sunset, looking back at the little slice of Germany we were leaving..



Copenhagen is pretty. It reminded me of Vienna in that it has a lot of palaces, the difference here is it seems more real, because they actually still have a royal family!

I spent a couple of days wandering around copenhagen, which was cold and very expensive, but so lovely. They even have free bikes you can use. fun. Some pics from Copenhagen...

From the palace gardens, a tree in a cart. Apparently a traditional thing:


The royal house the tree was part of:



The teenage guards they seemed to have everywhere:



The little mermaid, which I cycled to on a free bike and then spent my 20Kr (about NZ$5!) on the nicest small softserve icecream ever. (also the most expensive)


The Royal Palace:



A windwill on the side of the ancient fortified old palace bit



On the other end of the scale - Statues of trash in the town square:#


And, a rally for the homeless of Copenhagen, where they tried to give me a free pair of hobo gloves. Unlike homeless in the rest of Europe, the Danish actually seemed to care about theirs. Maybe because it was Oktober, and already damn cold!(or because most people are pretty rich?)


On my last night in Copenhagen I was lucky enough to go to the Royal Danish Ballet. I had to queue for over 2 hours for tickets, but I got pretty good ones in the dress circle. If you are under 30, they are 60% off. Score!

The opera house is out of town a bit, so you can take a long bus to get there, or a ferry! I took the ferry to the very cool venue.

Pics from the ballet:
opera house inside


the Ferry:



Opera house outside


Theatre at half time from my seats:



Pretty close to the stage eh?

No comments: