Tuesday 25 September 2007

Budapest

ok, what was I up to? Ahh Budapest!

I LOOOVED Budapest. And that was just the vibe. I mean I did hardly any touristing there, because coming out of the train station I tripped on a pot hole and wrenched my ankle REALLY bad. Nice, so it swelled up to 4 times the normal size and I could only wear jandals (flip flops) for a week. Fun times.

Apart from that, Budapest was awesome. The people are super nice, I stayed in an apartment of a guy I met in NYC in August. Yay an apartment to myself!

There are very odd, but cool things to see around Budapest. Their main cathedral has a shrine to a saints right hand. Yes you too can pay 1 of the local currency to see the light and the hand that is thousands of years old! right. They also have GIANT statues and monuments:

and a park out of town where they put all the communist statues when they got rid of the russians. Funny, pack up all the communist heroes and exile them out of town. Unfortunately I didn't get to see this, OR go to the hot baths, due to the fact I could only hobble very slowly :(

But I DID get to meet the very cool Dora (though couchsurfing) and although she couldn't host me, we met up for a Hungarian baking lesson, and over hot wine and sangria made a yummy cake! She was super nice, and her best friend came over too and they were soo cool, speaking in English the whole night to make me feel welcome. Our cake:

Cake!:


On the last day there, I went up Buda Castle to see the view:

I also went for beer my last night there with a heap of CS people and all and all was very sad to leave! But, I had booked a hostel in Poland, so I had to leave. Highlights of Budapest: Buda Castle, Drinks with CS people, the Hero Square and Dora's cooking lessons! If I could go again, I'd do: The turkish baths, and also go to see the Communist statue park.

No comments: